December 12, 2019 7:52 pm
We are Videotel Marine International Limited (“VMIL”, “us”, “we”, “our”) and we develop, license, provide and distribute training and learning material and courses (“Services”) to maritime customers and clients, across the world on sea and land.
As the learning taken by individuals (“Trainee”) will often become part of a professional training record over the working life of the individual, we collect, process and store data relevant to the individuals and, where applicable, the employer.
A Trainee’s record and a clients’ contact details include personally identifiable information and we are committed to protecting the privacy of the individual and security of the data we process and hold.
How to Contact Us
We are a London based company with our registered office at:
2nd Floor, The Place
175 High Holborn
London WC1 V7AA
All enquires related to personal data can be sent by email to : email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org or, in person by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 299 1801 or +44 (0) 207 299 1800 (switchboard)
We apply, and fully comply with, the European Data Protection Laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) for all personal data irrespective of the location or nationality of the users of our Services.
GDPR is recognised internationally as having the most stringent measures in protecting the privacy rights of individuals. VMIL is committed to applying the highest privacy standards for all its users.
Under GDPR, where a Trainees directly contracts for the use our Services, we act as the “Data Controller”, whereas, when a client contracts with us to provide Services to their personnel, we act as a “Data Processor”.
Data We Collect
We collect data directedly from you and where applicable your employer. We also collect some data automatically, like data about your course and the results as well as information about the device being used for interacting with our Services and training courses.
Data You Provide Directly
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create a user account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
|Account Data||In order to use certain features (such as enrolling on a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, including:
We assign a unique user identifier to you, either as an individual trainee, or if sponsored by an employer, through the employing company.
Once an account has been created, we will thereafter store and process your individual training records including details, times and outcomes of courses and tests taken.
|Profile Data||You may be required to provide basic profile information like a photo, headline or other data. Your profile information is available only to you and, where applicable, to your employer, to view and is never made publicly available to others.|
|Course Data||When you enrol onto and take courses, we collect certain data including:
|Trainee Payment Data||If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and address) necessary to process your order. You will also be required to provide certain payment and billing data directly to the payment processing company, including your name, credit card information and billing address. For security purposes, VMIL does not collect, store or have access to your payment details, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.|
|Client Data||If you are an employing company, we collect and store the contact details of your nominated personnel who administer and manage new and existing Trainees and their respective training records; Finance department contacts and nominated third party personnel, such as outsourced back office companies, in the provisioning and delivery of Services to Trainees|
The data listed above is stored by VMIL and associated with your account.
Data We Collect Through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
|System Data||Technical data about your computer or device, including your IP address, device type, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).|
|Usage Data||Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).|
|Geographic Data||An approximate geographic location, including information like vessel or country, city, and approximate geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.|
This data is stored by us and associated with your account.
How We Get Data About You?
We use tools like cookies and similar technologies such as, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
Cookies and Data Collection Tools
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics. These services use Tools to help us analyse your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website (IP address) you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
What We Use Your Data For?
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyse how people use our Services, serve personalised advertising, and as required or is necessary by law to ensure the safety and integrity of data. We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations as required or permitted by law;
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customised content and facilitate communication;
- Process your requests and orders for specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and messages about your progress on courses, new services, new features, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback;
- Market and administer surveys administered or sponsored by VMIL;
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data with the help of analytics service providers;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyse trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, or our Services.
Who We Share Your Data With?
We share data about you with instructors, employers, other maritime companies and organisations directly connected to the Services we provide
We may also share your data to ensure security and compliance as part of our legal and regulatory obligations.
Lastly, we may share and report on information in other ways but only when it has been aggregated, anonymised or, where we have your prior consent.
- With Clients: We have agreements with employers and employing companies to distribute our Services to their nominated personnel.
- To Administer Surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor surveys you choose to participate in, as required by a client and/or applicable law or regulation.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid court request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of VMIL, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control of the business: If VMIL merged, acquired, divested or dissolved or; a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to a successor organisation.
Retention of Personal Data
We take every reasonable step to ensure that your Personal Data is only processed for the minimum period necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. The criteria for determining the retention period for your Personal Data is:
- We retain copies of your Personal Data in a form that allows for identification purposes only for as long as:
- we maintain an ongoing relationship with you (e.g. where you have not exercised your legal rights of deletion or transfer are included in our mailing list and have not unsubscribed);
- The duration of:
- any applicable limitation period, for example: any period during which a person could raise a historical query or bring a legal claim against us, and;
- an additional 12 months following the end of the applicable limitation period, so we can identify any Personal Data of a person who may make request or bring a claim at the end of the applicable period,
Once the periods in paragraphs (A) and (B) above have concluded, we will either:
- permanently delete or destroy the relevant Personal Data or,
- anonymise the relevant Personal Data.
Transfer of Your Personal Data.
The storage and processing of your Personal Data as described above may require that your Personal Data is transferred/transmitted to, and/or, from different cloud data centres as well as at our centres in the United Kingdom.
The cloud data centres we use are based in Europe and the USA. Where data protection standards differ to those in European Union, such as GDPR; we ensure protective measures taken are equivalent and/or compliant with European Data Protection laws.
We use appropriate operational and technical security controls based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored.
As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorised access and it is important to protect the password assigned to you. Your password is unique and should never be revealed to anyone, including VMIL personnel. If you suspect your password has been compromised or your account has been subject to any unauthorised access; you should contact us as soon as it is feasible.
We take appropriate and proportionate security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect, process and store and your Account ID and Password are an important part of our security system. If you believe your Account ID or Password may have been compromised, you should immediately change it and contact email@example.com with any concerns.
Your continued protection and vigilance of your account details and your password are an important part of our security system. It is your responsibility to protect your Account ID and Password.
Under the European Data Protection laws, you have many data rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection, processing, retention, correction or deletion of your data. You should note that if you chose to exercise your rights, in some circumstances the availability and/or your continued use of our Services may be impacted to your detriment.
You are able to update or terminate your account from within our Services and can contact us for individual rights requests about your Personal Data.
Your Choices About the Use of Your Personal Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but this may limit certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, please let us know by email, phone, post or by changing the settings in your account preference settings.
Please note:regardless of your email preference settings, we will continue to send you important transactional and relationship messages regarding your use of Services, including administrative and order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your Personal Data we have collected about you as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account settings accordingly at any time.
- To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, email us at email@example.com. For your protection, we may require requests be only sent through the email address associated with your account. We may also need to verify your identity before complying with your request.
Please note:we will continue to retain your data to complete transactions and where we have a legal and regulatory obligation to do so.
- To terminate or transfer a personal account, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at: VMIL 175 High Holborn, London WC1 V7AA, United Kingdom.
Please note: if you have asked for your account to be closed, some or all of your data may still be visible to others, such as your previous employers. Even after an account termination, we may retain your data for as long as we have legal or regulatory obligation to do so including any compliance with applicable maritime laws and regulations.
Updates & Contact Information
When we make a material change to this policy, we will notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism as required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.
You can also send postal mail to us at:
Videotel Maritime International Limited,
175 High Holborn,
London WC1 V7AA